Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Finding the Thank

Sometimes it's easy to be thankful. 

Like when it's sunny outside and I can smell spring around the corner of next week.  Or when my husband calls in the middle of the day just to see how my day is going and tell me that he loves me.  And when my children are asleep, looking so angelic and beautifully at peace in the quiet of night and the serenity of their bedrooms.

But sometimes, I have to really dig.  Sometimes, it's hard to find the thank in the fullness of my day.

Like when my husband is out of town and both of my kids have the stomach flu.  Or when my second-grader is home for the tenth day in a row because of more snow than an eskimo would know what to do with.  It's hard to be thankful when my fervent prayers for something I know God would want is answered by silence.  Or, even worse, with what appears to be a resounding "no."

And yet, I am called to...

"Sing and make music in (my) heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of (my) Lord Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 5:20)

Always.  For everything.  Giving thanks to God.

In other words, when I choose to find the thank *in the name of my Lord Jesus Christ*, my heart can sing no matter what.  Always.  Even when I have to dig for it. 

So today, whether I have to dig or not, I will choose to be thankful.  And tomorrow, whether or not my prayer is answered the way I hope it is, I will choose to sing that heart song to God.

Because He is good. Because He is God. Because He is.

And that is enough.  No matter what.

Today is Tuesday, so I'm linking up with Emily at http://www.chattingatthesky.com/ and finding the thank all over the place. 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Very well said! I work hard to remind myself to be thankful everyday.

Amy said...

I am going to find the "Thank in fullness of my day". What a great perspective as I begin my day. I may have to dig for it, but I am going to find it. :-)

Melissa_Rae said...

Such a timely reminder for me. Great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails