Monday, August 9, 2010

Unfaded Attraction


Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!I was working as the high ropes course instructor at Camp Carl, sharing Jesus' love and grace with the campers in whatever way I could find.  It was the summer I surrendered the area of dating to the One Who is Three in One.  The One Who gave me the desire for intimate relationship in the first place.  As a result of that surrender, I broke up with my boyfriend, despite my ever-increasing longing for a husband, and the engagement ring we had gone to look at so I could try it on.  It was one sunny afternoon that very same summer that I heard it for the first time . . . 

"Your beauty should . . . be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."  (I Peter 3:3-4, NIV)

I had read that passage of Scripture before.  But this was the first time I really heard it.  "Unfading beauty."  "Great worth in God's sight."  My heart found a new longing that day.

That passage of Scripture in first Peter 3 talks about how to be a wife.  More specifically, verses 1 and 2 say that this kind of inner beauty would be so attractive that it could very possibly win a husband to Christ, if he were not already a believer

"There are husbands who, indifferent as they are to any words about God, will be captivated by your life of holy beauty." (I Peter 3:1-2, msg)

Clearly, I was hooked.  Hello, unfading beauty?!?  I mean, here I had God's secret for not only attracting an amazing man of God but, even more than that, for keeping him attracted. 

And that, my dear friends is when I decided to unwaveringly entrust the rest of my life's dating relationships to God Himself.

It's also when I began praying for my future husband, the very same year that my husband (of now almost 14 years) surrendered his life to Jesus Christ!

Over the next few weeks, I plan to study this Scripture more in depth.  I expect that God has pretty pointed things to say about our vigilance as wives.  So I hope you'll join me.

In fact, I hope you'll join me today in thinking through what it means to be a vigilant wife.  Link up here.  Or leave a comment.  Please?

2 comments:

Coby said...

What an amazing testimony! I know it was when I surrendered this area of my life FULLY that God gave me a hope of being a Godly wife to a Godly man. I'm amazed at how He is fulfilling this hope.

Anonymous said...

Hi Bria! This is the SECOND time this week that I read that verse about inner beauty and a quiet spirit. My husband ran over MY dog on Saturday by accident, and although I knew that it was an accident, it took me more than a day to forgive him. :( Alley (my dog) has been with us since we got engaged so she's a part of the family, so I'm brokenhearted. So, as I read this blog, it's reminding me about this "quiet spirit". Thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails