Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Songs and Slimy Pits

It's been slimy here the past several weeks.  The pit, I mean.  So slimy that I can't get my footing to lift myself out.  Like the spin cycle on Wipeout. 

I fell in.

But I found the way out.  God's strong hands.  He grabbed me by the armpits and pulled me out with His superGod arms.  He did it a few days ago as I mourned the end of summer break and the start of a new season of my life.  The one where both of my children go to school all day and I learn how to be a different kind of mom.  He showed me that my youngest starting kindergarten is really not about me.  He reminded me that it's been His plan all along.  This growing up thing. 

And He started teaching me a new song. 

I like new songs.

"I waited patiently for the LORD;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the LORD."
Psalm 40:1-3

That's why I'm linking up today with Emily for Tuesdays Unwrapped.  Because they're singing all kinds of beautiful songs over there.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

6 comments:

Mrs. Sojourner said...

Great verse; thanks for sharing!

emily freeman said...

Brianna, this is perfectly timed for me to day. Perfectly timed. "...as I learn to be a different kind of mom..." That, my friend, is exactly where I am as well. Even though my girls have already been through kindergarten, there is a very real and slow transition that is taking place as they enter 1st grade. And your gentle reminder that it's not about ME...well that was perfectly timed as well.

thank you, friend.

Adelle said...

Brianna, this was great! I love that Psalm.

He lifted me out of my slimy pit last Spring and at last I am singing a new song this year, too. Still trying not to crawl back in - that's the easy thing to do.

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so transparent. Your words were beautifully said.

Michelle DeRusha said...

Just popped over from Emily's place to pay you a visit and say hello. My guy started kindergarten this week, and I, too, had a similar revelation...that it's not about me...that I must surrender to Him. You said it in such a lovely way!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I really needed that. I was a teacher before staying home to be a mom. It hits me from many directions as I drop my children off at school. The other day my youngest told me she didn't want to just be a Mom when she grew up...she wanted to do a hero job, something important. Like a firefighter or a computer expert. Oh? Really. As if I don't put out fires all day!!
Your words ministered to my weary spirit and my bleary eyes rejoiced to read them.
Thank you,
Take extra good care,
Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails