Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sticky Persistence

I am so amazed at the entirety of all that I have been challenged with and learning lately. I'm not sure I can really explain it. But I have this blog. Therefore, I will try. :)

At my Thursday morning Bible study, we have been studying the topic of heaven all summer long. So, as you might imagine, we've spent some time looking into the book of Revelation. At the same time, my husband has invited me to join him on his journey through Daniel (via David Jeremiah's website), which I don't ever remember understanding before. And so, through that, we have spent much time studying and discussing together prophecy and end-time things. In the meantime, I was given a book by a friend called Nine Days in Heaven, in which the narrator describes in detail her nine-day vision of heaven.

So through all of this I have been challenged with various thoughts, not the least of which is the idea of God preparing His people (including me) for heaven. Making us ready for the whole completeness that we will have, not to mention the pure and true fellowship we will enjoy eternally with our Savior Jesus Christ.

And through all of it, He seems to be impressing on me in a very real way how NOT ready I am to experience ALL that heaven has to offer. Don't get me wrong. I know that I know that I know that I will spend eternity with God in heaven because I believe and have surrendered my life to Jesus Christ as the Forgiver of my sins and as the Lord of my life. But I believe that, in this world and in heaven, He has more prepared than I can even begin to imagine. And I am starting to think that I will be even more prepared to enjoy it to the full if I trust Him here on earth to give me that life that is truly life. Trust Him even with the details and frivolity of the everyday. So He has been making me thirsty. For more than Diet Coke and iced tea. And He has been making me realize how truly unsatisfied I am with what's not Him. I'm realizing that He doesn't let things like great bargains and good tasting food satisfy me because He wants me to want more. And to realize that HE is the only "more" that can satisfy to that depth. Truly.

Sure, I still find myself wasting the occasional minute (ok, hour or more!) on Bejeweled Blitz or facebook or wandering around Kohl's or Wal-Mart aimlessly looking for an unbelievable deal. But God is starting to show me how unsatisfying these things are compared to what's real. The things of Him. Like spending time in His Word. Or just hanging out with my family. His voice is starting to become louder than the call of Kohl's and facebook.

Unfortunately, I am a s-l-o-w l-e-a-r-n-e-r!!! So I don't always respond to His voice in a, shall we say, timely manner. But I am SOOO thankful for His persistent, sticky mercy and patience. Please, Lord, don't give up on me!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails