Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dear Barbie,

You might know me as the mom.  Or maybe you remember me from way back when my sister and I used to argue over you.  Remember that awesomely huge Barbie house one of our friends had? Yeah, I totally wanted to get that for you.  Sorry it never happened.

Anyway, I guess you probably get a lot of hate mail seeing as you so dutifully represent the world's view of beauty.  But, hey, I get it.  I mean it's who you are, right?  It's how you were created.  And you personally have no power to change it.  Just clay in the potter's hands, right?  Yeah, I totally get that.  I, too, am clay in my Maker's hands.  Sometimes I find it hard to be content with that, though.   I don't know if you get that or not.  I guess there's a chance.  I mean, for all I know, you might wish you had brown curly hair and a body the shape of a pear.  The grass is always greener, eh?

I just wanted to write to let you know something that I appreciate you.  It might get me in trouble if I actually post this, because, as you know, there are a lot of people who, well, who can't stand you or what you stand for.  And, I do feel the need to mention that I am not crazy about most of your clothing or the fact that so many little girls dream of having an impossibly perfect body like yours, often to their lifelong dismay.  But, I guess I just wanted you to know that there are a few things that I appreciate about you. 

Like the fact that you just go wherever your master takes you.  No arguing.  No complaining.  You're always up for the adventure.  Even when your master turns your head all the way around and makes you look like the girl on the Exorcist.  And that one time when she actually popped your head right off!  Amazing that you weren't even afraid to go back into her hands after that! I applaud your courage.  Some people might call that stupidity.  Well, not me! 

And when your master decides to play with someone else, you're totally okay with it.  Content whether it's your turn or not.  Like what Angela Thomas was saying at that conference I went to.  She was talking about how sometimes it's not our turn yet.  Then she pointed out that we need to become women who are ready when our Master says "now!"  And how we need to cheer for each other when it's someone else turn.  Barbie, I have no idea whether or not you celebrate the successes of other toys, but I can tell you that is something some of us humans really struggle with.  So, you might imagine that bit by Angela Thomas really resonated with me.

Anyway, thanks.  Your contentment is just something I was thinking about and wanted to let you know that I noticed.  You're not all bad.  Thanks for reminding me that I am totally at the mercy of my Maker and Master.  Just like you are.

Oh, one last thing, I'm sorry for kicking you across the floor earlier today. Believe it or not, I had intended that to be a friendly little nudge toward your pool and my children who were watching you swim. It's nice, by the way, your new pool. Just kind of wishing it didn't have to stay in the middle of my kitchen. I hope I didn't hurt you when I kicked you. I just really dislike stepping on your hard plastic hands because, well, that hurts. I imagine you don't experience much pain being a toy and all. Well, believe you me, stepping on plastic is painful. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

Sincerely,
Brianna

p.s. Just wanted you to know that I did decide to post this letter, and I'm linking up with Emily today at http://www.chattingatthesky.com/ for Tuesdays Unwrapped.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

5 comments:

pinkdaisyjane said...

Love it! Great post!

Nicole said...

Wow, thank you I needed a good laugh at life this morning. It has been a rough week at our house. I too have always appreciated barbie's ability to be who her master intended, mother, doctor, life guard etc. thanks for being so insightful :)

brianna said...

Thanks, guys. :) SO glad it made you laugh. I was a little worried it might tick off some people...

cooperkelly4 said...

nope, no ticking off here, I thought it was funny too. I wasn't allowed to play with Barbie way back when (they didn't have the dark haired friend (Kelly) yet and my Mom didn't want me to think that only pretty girls were blond. Strawberry shortcake was my buddy. Man, she smelled good! =0) And yes, I too need to be quick to obey!

Jessica Fuller said...

I've haven't been around lately, so I'm just now seeing this. Love. It! You are so fun and insightful! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails